Sunday, February 1, 2009

Spain!

Right now I can see Gibraltar from my window. The word literally means mountain, and mountain is it. We are fueling up here. I got back on the ship yesterday afternoon and we left around 8pm. We've been going super super super slow so that we have this whole day to learn up on Morocco, and also since Morocco is only about 200 miles from Cadiz. And when I say slow, I mean 2 knots. I think we're going to go the fastest tonight. Last night it was really rocky and everything from the tables in our room fell on the floor and all of our drawers kept opening and slamming shut with every wave which startled us, as I bet you can imagine. Rumor has it that it will be just as rocky tonight.

Spain was incredible! And I surprised myself on how quickly I remembered, as well as picked up on the Spanish language. In my group of seven, I was the one who translated what locals were saying. I am also hearing the Rosetta Stone’s from school call my name.

The first day we got to Cadiz (pronounced kah-dith), we went and bought train tickets to get from Cadiz to Sevilla (pronounced suh-vee-ya) and then got to Sevilla around 2:30. Then we took buses and walked around for about three hours trying to find hostels that had enough room for everyone and finally found one for 20 euro a night right in el centro (the center of town). We had tinto (red wine) and tapas (snacks) at a bar (bars are family places to eat opposed to places just to drink in Spain) which was delicious as well as relaxing after the long day of travel on train and by foot. We went to dinner at 9 or 10 that night (meals are different here and are at different times. Breakfast is served at 7am-8am, lunch is at 1:30-2:30pm, tapas at 4-8pm, and dinner at 10pm-12pm), and then retired to our beds around 1am. Spanish wine is SO good, and averages 1.50 euro for a generous glass.


In the photo: Bubber, Caitlin, and Me


The next day was filled with walking around Sevilla and lots of cafe con leche (coffee with hot milk) which is deliciously creamy and incredibly delicious. We also went to the main cathedral in town, but didn't go in because of the time. We shopped for awhile, and then went to a futbol (soccer) game! It was the most truly cultural thing I have ever done! The game was Sevilla vs. Vallencia, with Sevilla scoring the winning goal with 40 seconds to go! Everyone went crazy and were singing, and we made some amigos locales (local friends) while having a Spanish cervesa (their most popular beer is called Cruzcampo) after to celebrate.






The next day was filled with walking around and then a train back to Cadiz where we showered and ate on the boat to save some money. Then we went out and looked at the local shops and went to an Irish pub called O'Connels where a lot of locals hang out as well. We made friends with the bartender Franco, who gave us free tinto solo en una copa (red wine by itself in a glass), and red bull to stay awake and took us at 4am to a secret discoteca (place of dancing) and didn't get back to the ship until 7am! Ahh the life in Spain!



Then yesterday was filled with toasted croissants and cafe con leche and finding food in markets. Then it was back to the ship to sleep!

I really really enjoyed Spain to its fullest potential and hope to do the same in all my other places. Today in global studies we discussed how women should always wear sleeves and long shorts or pants and cover their hips and either cover our hair or put it up. I guess long wavy curly hair like mine is seen as a sexual thing, as well as looking men in the eyes. So I'm going to have to cover up the ol' hair and try to train myself not to look at men in the eyes when I'm talking to them. Also, it is considered rude to eat with your left hand because it is the 'dirty hang' where the right hand is the clean one. I'm just glad I'm not left handed. I can't wait for the food! Tomorrow I have an FDP (faculty directed program) for Marketing where we go to a coke factory, and then the next day I head by bus to a place outside of Morocco and go camel riding and get a tour of the city. I'm happy that I will be in a large group this time because it sounds like Marrakesh can be a very dangerous area for women to roam alone.

Tonight we gain an hour by moving our clocks back, which is a much welcomed change from the 23 hour days we lived on the way across the Atlantic. The first port is over, which leaves everyone with a bitter sweet point. But we have so much to look forward to!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Sounds amazing! You are experiencing so many cool things!

    ReplyDelete