Friday, January 23, 2009

Deck Thoughts

As I sit on the upper dock of this moving vessel, the wind sweetly whips through my hair and the brightness of the sun teases my eyes. The waves are far below me, but their stir against the boat can be heard like a kittens purr. The peace of life on this craft is truly altering. Here, everyone is so welcoming, and instantly loving. No one fights, or gossips, or judges you through looks or clothing or skin color or accent or beliefs or opinions. Everyone cares about your individual experiences and wants to immediately learn truly what you are all about, starting from your core and then out to your clothing, and never the opposite way in order with the rest of the world. In these short days, I have already learned so much. And not from classes, or text books, or research sites. I have learned about people, through people. And what I have learned makes my mind wander to the depths of what this world could be, and it aids me in realizing that everything in this life has to do with other people, and the actions and interactions and reactions that we constantly take for granted and have become numb to, sometimes annoyed with. And when considering all of that, it forces me to contemplate human desires. Through this week, this is what I have unearthed:

People, as human beings who were born to love and enjoy life, should do just that and not a single thing less. What is life if it is not bringing one absolute joy? There is no excuse for letting a life go by. You are only given one, so don’t squander it.

We are not even half the way to Spain, and I have already learned so much. Evidently these experiences give me more than what I will learn in a classroom. Who will I become? I am electrified to find out!

1 comment: